Monday, September 22, 2014

fun with phonemes!

Literacy development in preschool through first grade is strange.  I don't remember before I was a fluent reader when I would have sounded out words: ppp- eee- ttt. pet! 
I don't remember manipulating words, but I certainly did it.  My dad showed me a composition book full of my own work on phonemic awareness. what I do remember, is playing games! Tons and tons of games. All very much like the ones described in Yopp & Yopp's article. I loved school when we played games all day! Little did I know, I was developing my literacy.

And all of these strategies and techniques are great, but they aren't all there is.  The IRA and NAEYC statement reported teachers noticing increasing variation in the children in their classrooms. There can be up to a five year reading level difference in any given kindergarten class!  So, good teachers are the ones that incorporate a variety of methods to encompass the diversity found in their class.  Just as Yopp & Yopp brought attention to in the "cautions" section of the paper; teachers need to be watchful and notice when some strategies aren't working, or children need extra help or perhaps a different approach.


3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think that if a teacher cannot realize and determine their students' needs and literacy levels then the year is going to be a rough one. Students aren't dumb and know if you are paying attention, or just going with the designed program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that playing games is a way to make students learn and actually remember what they are learning. I also think there need to be better ways to evaluate students reading levels and to teach those that are all across the board because you don't want to hold anyone back or move too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the book you found! A girl I babysit has Shel Silverstein's book, "Runny Babbit." She loves figuring out what the author was really saying. It shows that all kids want to learn if you can find the right activity for them to expore.

    ReplyDelete